Remarkable People — We Are a Remarkable Team
At Damar, our people are remarkable. Our staff are dedicated to serving our clients to achieve remarkable results. We are a diverse team of men and women with a wide range of skills and experiences interested in careers that matter. We will provide you the training to help you not only provide the best service to our clients, but provide a place where you can fulfill your career ambitions. With competitive benefits, a culture of compassion, innovation and fun, Damar Services offers you the opportunity to do remarkable work.
We are currently seeking a talented, motivated and detail oriented Teaching Assistant to be responsible for performing a variety of Para-professional tasks related to the care of individuals served by Damar. This includes participation in activities that promote the development of appropriate daily living, self-help and social skills. Job responsibilities include the performance of duties related to the physical health and well-being of each resident served.
Quality Services/High Quality Staff
• Teaches the clients to acquire self-help, daily living and social skills.
• Conducts and supervises recreational and life enrichment activities.
• Actively participates in staff training programs designed to increase overall skills.
• Ensures that all activities, services and programs through Damar are conducted in a manner that is sensitive to and shows respect for the cultural and ethnic diversity for all Damar clients.
• Participates in programs designed to aid in the habilitation and training/treatment of clients.
• Assists in maintaining a safe and healthy environment, including performing a variety of tasks related to housekeeping including cleaning, washing soiled clothing, changing bed linen, folding and sorting clean laundry.
• Observes records and reports the condition and behavior of the clients.
• Functions as a member of the training/treatment team.
• Actively participates in the implementation of individual and group programs to maximize the human potential of each client served.
• Works with clients, professional and other para-professional staff, client’s families, and the community to provide proper habilitation.
• Consistently implements behavior management plans to reduce client’s maladaptive behaviors and promote appropriate social behaviors.
• Effectively responds to and manages crisis situations, which may include client physical aggression, utilizing prescribed verbal intervention or physical management techniques.
• Ensures adequate supervisions of clients, never leaving clients unattended unless permitted for periods of time based on a client’s Individual Support Plan.
• Completes incident reports, including reporting any suspected exploitation, abuse, or neglect of a client.
• Operates Damar vehicles and/or personal vehicles to transport residents or perform other work related duties.
• Will adhere to all policies and procedures as defined in the Employee Handbook and Damar Operational Policies and Procedures Manual.
• Takes pride and ownership in Damar’s facilities and assigned work areas.
• Attends mandatory staff meeting and other meetings as assigned.
• Completes and updates mandatory training and other licensure related items in a timely manner.
• Maintains documentation that is accurate and legible.
• Leads classroom instruction and provides guidance to the other staff members in the absence of the teacher.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Seeks the best use of materials, equipment and staff to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
• Acts as a good steward of Damar and/or client finances.
• Respects the culture, diversity and rights of all clients, their families and the community.
• Shows initiative by identifying solutions to work towards improving stakeholder satisfaction.
Growth and Transformation
• Prioritizes duties in a manner consistent with organizational objectives and growth.
• Ability to follow and execute specific oral and written instructions.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to promote and maintain positive interaction with all internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to remain alert during work shift.
• Demonstrate respect for cultural, ethnic, spiritual and linguistic diversity and values including differences in personal goals, lifestyle choices and varying family backgrounds and histories.
• Ability to pass and maintain Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) certification if working in children’s residential home/unit licensed by Dept. of Child Services (DCS).
• Ability to physically manage and restrain clients when necessary, including ability to assist in lifting, maneuvering, and physically supporting individuals up to 200 pounds; ability to lift up to 35 pounds.
• Ability to walk, sit, stand, for long periods of time. May also be required to stoop, bend, squat, push, pull, run, kneel and have full dexterity and agility.
• Ability to take and pass ParaPro Assessment (www.ets.org) within 6 months.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Minimum of 1 year experience as a direct care staff working with MR/DD clients or in a school setting as an assistant or aide, or equivalent experience/education.
• Minimum age of 21 depending on program and / or department requirements.
• Valid Indiana driver’s license and driving record that meets eligibility requirements of Damar’s insurance carrier (for all positions requiring driving).
• Successful completion of pre-employment drug screen and physical.
• Must meet background screening requirements of program(s) assigned to.